View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:41 pm

(One Shots) The Discussioning! 
Just Say PortmanNo

Post Re: (One Shots) The Discussioning!
Mmm; don't know how well I'd feel on running a Supernatural one-shot; not knowing most of the show and all. So if you can think of anything else, let me know, or I can go back to planning the second arc of Werewolf, since people seem to be amenable to that.

Mon May 10, 2010 4:07 pm
Webslinger

If you wanted to try running some Dresden Files, Drew, I'd be up for that. I don't really feel like I OMG have to be the one to run it, personally.

All right, I'm not so sure about Heavengrace because most of you have seen my haunted houses before. But maybe I can come up with another Supernatural one-shot if no one else wants to run it, or I can pitch a campaign.

Mon May 10, 2010 4:11 pm
Foooor Narnia

While I know the Cortex system, I don't think I could capture the tone of the show right.

I'm still working on a write up of a Star Wars one-shot that should be posted in the near future.

Mon May 10, 2010 4:11 pm
Deadlier Than You

Well, I meant in general, or for Autumn to run since she'd suggested one before. I think one-shot is probably good for now, as most of us haven't played in the setting before.

Oh yes, and Star Wars!

Mon May 10, 2010 4:12 pm
Just Say PortmanNo

Hmm. I could be down for running a Dresden Files game. :) I'd have to wait to get the book, obviously, but I'd be down.

I could also throw together a proposal for an Unknown Armies one-shot, after I run the one I'm planning now.

Mon May 10, 2010 4:19 pm
Just Say PortmanNo

Oh, there's also Shadowrun; I picked up the Fourth Edition books at Pandemonium a few weeks ago, and I'd be interested in running it to see how the new system is and how the group likes it.

Mon May 10, 2010 4:26 pm
Webslinger

Hm. On a scale of 1 to 10, one being total anarchy and 10 being, I don't know, Palladium or Rolemaster or something, how crunchy is Shadowrun? I'd heard it was pretty crunchy.

Mon May 10, 2010 4:41 pm
Just Say PortmanNo

It can be fairly crunchy, but no more so than, say, Unisystem, and I'd say on par, maybe less so, than D&D. Honestly, I think a lot of the rep that Shadowrun got for crunch came from the types of GMs who also ruined D&D as dungeon-crawling and alignment fascism and Storyteller as gothic emo darkness, and the unnecessary supplements of gear. I'll give you a firmer answer(i.e., number) once I've rolled up a few sample characters for my own edification.

Mon May 10, 2010 4:53 pm
Webslinger

Hm, okay. Might be interesting to try.

Can I be a dragon? A lesbian cheerleader ninja dragon?

Mon May 10, 2010 4:54 pm
Just Say PortmanNo

No. But the ninja is a distinct possibility.

I was also discussing with Mike, the idea that I might use the Shadowrun system for something different; possibly something like Rifts, if anybody's interested(great setting, terrible system and support).

Mon May 10, 2010 4:59 pm
Deadlier Than You

If-y on Shadowrun, I'll wait on hearing that number. I know nothing about Rifts.

Mon May 10, 2010 5:00 pm
Webslinger

Honestly I'd need to hear pitches. I'm on the fence.

Okay, but here's the thing: she's also a stripper, and an undercover agent for a lingerie company's enforcement division.

Mon May 10, 2010 5:04 pm
Just Say PortmanNo

She was. But then she died, Autumn. Sadly. And with her, all characters like her(it was a chain reaction. Or maybe a set-up). :P

Alright, I'll put together an actual pitch. *grumble grumble*

Mon May 10, 2010 5:07 pm
Foooor Narnia

Rifts is a wonderful post apocalyptic setting with a so-so system and horrendous power creep and no character balance. I played in the setting in high school and anything is pretty much possible.

A quick recap: about a hundred years in the future a nuclear war occurs and the death of millions of people release there psychic energy into the world and as a result of the winter solstice and an alignment of planets cause ley lines of magic energy to erupt into the world. Where these lines meet nexus tore open rifts in time and space spilling creatures and races and magic into the world. About 300 years after that is when the game takes place.

Mon May 10, 2010 6:24 pm
Gentleman Scholar

Dresden Files: I haven't read the books, so don't know enough about the setting to know if I'd be interested. I may read the books someday, so I'd prefer to avoid spoilers, but I have no idea how soon that might be.

Shadowrun: My interest in cyberpunk is low, so I've never played it.

Rifts: From what little I've read and heard of the setting, there are bits and pieces that sound interesting, but overall it seems overly excessive with the genre-mashing. It would very much depend on the pitch, and what system you used.

Unknown Armies: I've played a brief one-shot, but it barely scratched the surface of the system and setting. I'd like to try it again, but I'd like to hear more first.

Fri May 14, 2010 11:09 am
Profile WWW
Webslinger

Personally, if I were to run Dresden Files, I'd avoid Chicago altogether, which would neatly cut out a lot of the spoilery revelations. Harry operates on a larger stage in some of the later books, but doesn't do much that can't be glossed over. At most you might hear some grumblings about that damned fool Dresden and how they should've chopped his head off and been done with it. Which isn't a spoiler, since he pretty much makes it clear in the first book that there are wizards who would love to see him dead.

Fri May 14, 2010 11:12 am
Just Say PortmanNo

Well, if I end up pitching any of them, we can obviously decide then.

Fri May 14, 2010 11:56 am