View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:17 pm

[World of Darkness 2.0] Ghostwatch: The Haunted Kingdom 
Webslinger

Post [World of Darkness 2.0] Ghostwatch: The Haunted Kingdom
On Halloween night, 1992, the BBC broadcast a revolutionary television program called Ghostwatch, a live investigation of an extraordinary haunting at Foxhill Drive. No one could have foreseen what happened next. In the course of 90 minutes, as the whole country tuned in and concentrated intently upon the events unfolding before them, a sort of massive seance called forth and empowered the ancient spirit at the center of the haunting. The veil between the worlds of the living and the dead was torn asunder, and the unquiet dead rose again throughout the British Isles. The United Kingdom and Ireland fell into chaos overnight, and the nations of the world swiftly imposed an unprecedented quarantine, banning even the rebroadcast or distribution of British television programs.

The quarantine has endured for nearly twenty years, and in that time, the Internet has risen and grown far beyond what it was in the early 90s. Though the ban on British media remains officially in place, many of the old shows have found their way onto YouTube and Google Video...including, most recently, Ghostwatch itself. Incidents of haunting have risen dramatically worldwide, and as the 20th anniversary of the program approaches, the governments of the world look anxiously back at the U.K., wondering if the spirit of Pipes may burst forth upon the world, taking advantage of the planet's growing awareness of the supernatural and the auspicious date to come. So, too, certain scholars and seekers of truth fear what may come with the next Halloween. And so, very quietly, a few disparate people have slipped into the old United Kingdom, seeking whatever intelligence they may find...but, above all, hoping to find a way to shut the doors to the other world again, and lay the spirit lurking in Foxhill Drive to rest.

Perhaps you're an agent of your government, dispatched on the orders of some esoteric bureau. Maybe you're an adventuring parapsychologist, or an enterprising medium. Or perhaps you're one of the Ghostwatch Orphans, a handful of children smuggled out of the U.K. before the quarantine came down. Whatever the reason, you have made your way to merry old England, and the fate of the whole world rests in your hands. God only knows what trials await you...but should you fail, you are quite sure, your soul will never find rest in the Haunted Kingdom.

A six-session series using the basic World of Darkness rules -- very similar to the old Storytelling system used by Werewolf and Changeling -- and principally mortal characters, possibly with limited psychic powers. I'll likely be recruiting on Bostongamers and at Pandemonium as well. Most likely to run on alternate Sundays or Saturdays, starting in late January or early February. If you're interested in the original Ghostwatch, the full program can be found at Google Video, but intimate knowledge of the program isn't necessary to play the game.

Sun Dec 25, 2011 1:07 am
Deadlier Than You

Post Re: [World of Darkness 2.0] Ghostwatch: The Haunted Kingdom
Sounds neat--I am unsure of what my availability will be, however, so...keep me in the loop, but don't mark me as a definite.

Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:21 am
Just Say PortmanNo

Whoa, that is a really cool idea Autumn. Kudos. :)

Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:40 pm
Webslinger

Thanks. The implications have *ahem* haunted me since I finally got around to watching Ghostwatch myself.

Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:32 pm
Just Say PortmanNo

Booooo. ;)

Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:48 pm
Gentleman Scholar

After SN wraps, I'd rather play something non-horror next, so I think I'll pass on this one.

(BTW, Erika & I have alternating games on Saturdays right now, so I'll only be available on Sundays for anything ongoing.)

Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:44 am
Profile WWW