View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:05 pm

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 [Unisystem] Generation Z 
Deadlier Than You

Post [Unisystem] Generation Z
More than thirty years ago, the zombie plague was cured—but there’s a new and larger threat now. Hordes of demons threaten the world. Slayers and champions have ceased to be called and chosen. The human population is down to numbers in the millions and dropping. Cities and governments have fallen and been taken off the map; humanity is on the brink of extinction.

But the heroes of the last generation are in no condition or place to take up arms once again. They’re older, frailer, they have families and homes and lives they’ve built. The ones who haven’t died or turned against humanity already, that is. The good guys can hold out where they are, for a time, but someone needs to take the fight to the enemy. So the new crop of heroes are left to it, and the kids of the former champions are tired of being kept safe. They’re done hearing about stories but never being in them. They’re striking out, with or without their parents’ guidance and blessing, to save the world and the last of humanity.

It’s not a fair fight, and there’s little hope left. But they believe there’s something out there that can help them win, and they aren’t giving up until they find it or die trying.

A Unisystem game—not Cinematic but regular ol’ gritty Unisystem—set in a dystopian version of the Greyverse. While the Greyverse heroes exist and may be relatives or friends of the new heroes, the connections stop there—the good guys didn’t really win, in the end, and champions are few and far between. Mephistopheles has taken over in his plan to create hell on Earth, and there’s no Diogenes machine to destroy him this time, and no Thyrian legacy left to inherit.

People may die, get maimed, get turned, and so forth. This place is much tougher to take than the monsters and gameplay of the Cinematic System, and there’s no destiny to lead the way.

GMing would be cooperative—players can step up to take turns running a session or story arc as they like and as they feel comfortable doing so. I think we do well as a group that collaborates and when we don't have too much of an endgame in mind, and this takes the load off of one person alone having to always run the game as well.

(For those who’ve been around long enough, this is taking the ‘Zombieverse’—now the Dystopia-verse or D-verse—as a jumping point. With some modifications to eliminate meddling from other universes who have a ‘saving people thing’. ;) Basically I'm having fun playing with that 'verse right now, so I figured what the hell, let's see if anyone would be interested in making it a tabletop thing!)

Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:38 pm
Deadlier Than You

Post Re: [Unisystem] Generation Z
Oh yes--I'm imagining this would not be tied to any one particular setting since the threats are all over the world and whatnot. Open-ended as far as how many sessions/length of the run (particularly with the cooperative GMing style, it would be easy to have it on-going but with breaks between arcs/sessions).

Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:13 pm
Webslinger

I would give this a maaaaaybe. I'm hesitant to do anything connected with the Greyverse just because the mythology is too insurmountable for new players at this point...this concept would circumvent some of those problems, but I'm still not certain. As an occasional series of interconnected one-shots/miniseries I suppose I could see it working. I also have so many different games I want to try at this point that I'm not entirely sure about revisiting something that's ascended to the big gaming table in the sky (also known as the GA forums).

Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:22 pm
Deadlier Than You

Yeah, the idea is to get away from most if not all of the established stuff. Hell, it could honestly be something else altogether with no connection to GA at all, really.

ETA: I suppose I really could re-propose this as something that is indeed totally devoid of GA references, actually. That part of it isn't he part I find more interesting anyways, really.

Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:24 pm
Webslinger

It feels a bit like we could just go with something like that 'Shadowgard: Aftermath' concept we pitched for the grant, except modified to make circumstances a bit more desperate, and without bothering with the name Shadowgard and stuff. I'd likely be interested, though definitely with plenty of gaps to do other stuff in.

Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:30 pm
Deadlier Than You

Okay....delete this or lock it or something, I'm going to modify this somewhat to be not even that little bit of GA-related.

Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:32 pm
Webslinger

Okay, can do. I'll lock it in case we decide to revisit the idea, but yeah...I don't mind getting back to GA in some form but the hurdle's awfully high and it doesn't seem strictly necessary now.

Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:59 pm
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]