View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:47 pm

Smallville: Hyperion 
Webslinger

Post Smallville: Hyperion
The Sunrise City. The City of Tomorrow. The Jewel of the East Coast. To most of the U.S., the city of Hyperion is a city of glittering towers and dreams made real, where anyone can become wealthy and powerful and the elite meet nightly on soaring terraces to celebrate their good fortune. Cutting-edge technology, the best medical care, titans of industry and commerce, all of it can be found here.

But to those who live there, Hyperion is a study in contrasts, and the dream can all too easily become a nightmare. Organized crime has the justice system in the palm of its hands. The poor and downtrodden fill the city's slums, and violence, alcohol and drugs are a part of daily life. Even the elite are not entirely immune -- those who stray are easy prey to the city's many predators. For all its grandeur, the Jewel of the East Coast is riddled with flaws.

But something new is in the air. Across the city, change is coming, small but growing. A select few are rising up to take hold of the city's destiny -- for good or evil. The age of heroes is dawning -- and dawn always comes first to the Sunrise City.

As with the Gotham proposal, this will use the Smallville RPG's version of the Cortex System, which features highly collaborative character and city creation as well as a system that has the characters rolling based on their relationships and motivations as much as their actual abilities. It's fairly rules-light, particularly where powers are concerned -- most powers will work based on a simple die roll, or you can just do stuff, or you can spend a Plot Point to do various things.

The tone of this is Heroes meets Smallville with a dash of Batman Begins, preferably without the sucking. I'll probably start you off as Rookie characters, just past the life-changing event that sets you on the path to a larger destiny (and we might play out some of the immediate aftermath of those events -- though I'm not counting on a single event as a shared origin). Heroes, vigilantes and villains are all welcome; the game supports and encourages players acting as antagonists to one another, though it'll probably work best to have complicated relationships rather than black and white good and evil to start. BBC season of six to eight episodes, self-contained with room for a future sequel if desired, likely starting after the new year.

Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:51 am
Deadlier Than You

Post Re: Smallville: Hyperion
Yeah, this I could get more into...although I'll voice my hope now for a different name for the city. :) Hyperion is just a little too overused comic-book-y! Maybe we can come up with something during city creation though if the enough of us are up for this one.

Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:00 am
Foooor Narnia

I'd be interested in this, but I think I'd play a crime lord. Or, at least play a character in a crimnal syndicate looking to take over all the gangs in the city. Plus, it would be fun to toy with the heroes and throw wrenches into master plans. Mwahahahaha!

Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:02 pm
Webslinger

Hmph. At least it's not Metropolis. :P

And a crime lord could work! Though, again, I'd recommend having some kind of complicated relationship with the other characters just so you're not at each others' throats all the time. But this is stuff that can be worked out during the character creation process. Which is probably worth devoting a whole session to, BTW, so...probably seven to nine sessions, including character creation, now I think of it.

Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:11 pm
Foooor Narnia

We'll see. I'm interested, but I'm not making any commitments now. I'm in three games and I've been enjoying having most of my Sundays free for the first time in almost 6 years.

Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:21 pm
Gentleman Scholar

Well, Mike could play a seeming good guy who is secretly a crime lord. He does "superheroic" stuff to protect the city because it's his city to exploit. ;)

I'm not normally into supers gaming, so I'll have to think about it. But I'll third the preference for avoiding monolithic canons like the DC or Marvel universes.

Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:35 pm
Profile WWW
Gentleman Scholar

Well, I had a character idea pop into my head last night (along with her arch-nemesis, even), and now I want to play her, so I guess I'm in. :D

Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:04 am
Profile WWW