View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:58 pm

Smallville: Gotham 
Webslinger

Post Smallville: Gotham
It's been ten years or more since the murder of Thomas and Martha Wayne, Gotham's most beloved philanthropists and most stalwart defenders. The void they left has yet to be filled -- even their own son has yet to take up their legacy. The city cries out for relief. The opportunity to shape Gotham's future is at hand. Some will become heroes. Some will become villains. All will become legends.

It's Batman Begins meets Smallville. The time is now -- but it's a time before Batman, before Catwoman, before the Joker and all the rest. Those figures may rise...someday. You might even play some of them on their way up -- or down. But the choices are yours, and the city is your canvas.

This game will use the Smallville RPG's version of the Cortex system: a system where your character finds success and failure through their relationships and motivations as much as through their basic skills and powers. Character and setting creation are a collaborative process, with the players drawing links between each other, NPCs and locations to help define their world.

The idea in this game is that you'll play characters out of the DC canon, but you can play fast and loose with that canon and don't have to stick to the Batman characters. Sure, you could play high-priced call girl Selina Kyle or a darkly driven Bruce Wayne -- but you could also play up-and-coming magician Zatanna Zatara, or the wild child princess of a tiny Mediterranean matriarchy known as Themiscyra, or washed-out boxer Ted Grant looking for redemption. You could bring in original characters, too -- think Chloe Sullivan. You don't all have to be heroes, either...you could be destined for darkness, or even embracing it here and now, struggling for power as the antagonist to other player characters. The point is this: the age of heroes and villains is yet to begin, and the future is in your hands, for good or evil.

Initial run will be a BBC season -- six to eight sessions, fairly self-contained, with room for more if we decide to revisit it at some point in the future. Six players max. I'll probably look to start this around January or so.

Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:19 pm
Deadlier Than You

Post Re: Smallville: Gotham
While the idea is kinda cool, my lack of knowledge about DC characters and the DC-universe turns me off from it. I could go for the up-and-coming heroes and/or villains in a corrupted city thing, but the DC-specific thing not so much for me, really. Sorry. :/

Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:05 am
Foooor Narnia

Yeah, not really catching my attention. A lot like Katie, I'd rather stay away from established characters and settings.

Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:49 am
Webslinger

All right, my other proposal for Smallville was actually an original city along similar lines, so I'll write that up.

Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:16 am