View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:05 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 (One Shots) The Discussioning! 
Just Say PortmanNo

Post Re: (One Shots) The Discussioning!
Probably original pregens. It's hard to live up to the standard of the movie characters.

Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:00 pm
Webslinger

That's my thought, too, I just didn't know if you guys would expect to be hanging around the firehouse and cracking wise and stuff.

Awww...but...but bustin' makes you feel good, Katie! Fair enough, though. I'll work up a pitch, we'll see how people feel about it.

Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:02 pm
Deadlier Than You

We'll see; just off-hand, Ghostbusters doesn't quite grab me.

Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:03 pm
Foooor Narnia

I'd go with pregens, but I would assume there would be a lot of wisecracking.

Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:11 pm
Webslinger

Oh, yeah, this might not be for a while, and I don't have to be the one to run it, but how much interest do you guys have in the Dresden Files RPG? (I know, I know, modern supernatural, but still.)

Also, as a general genre, how do you feel about medieval/Renaissance fantasy? Not D&D4. I'd figure out some other system.

Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:03 pm
Deadlier Than You

Dresden: yes yes yes yes!

Fantasy in a general sense: I'm fine with it, but yeah, would prefer to not use D&D. I've had an idea brewing for using Cortex to run a one-shot/short-run fantasy game based on Legend of the Seeker, perhaps. But I want to get more familiar with Cortex before I do.

Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:05 pm
Foooor Narnia

Yeah, not having read the books, I'd probably pass on Dresden.

As for ren/medieval fantasy, I can probably handle a one shot, but not anything full time. I'm in two good D&D games, so I'm getting that intch scratched.

Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:08 pm
Webslinger

Yeah, at this point my next non-Eberron fantasy game for the group -- whether it's heroic, historic or gonzo (see previous conversations re: Spelljammer) -- will probably just use Cortex or Unisystem. I've also been debating Mage: The Sorcerers Crusade, which is a Renaissance fantasy game using the Storyteller system, so kind of like Werewolf, except the supernatural powers are a lot more malleable. Magic is divided into nine Spheres, you use and combine them to get different effects, your level in a given Sphere determines what you can do with it.

Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:12 pm
Deadlier Than You

Oo, actually, looks like someone made a campaign world for Cortex that's high fantasy already! And the download is free :)

http://cortexsystemrpg.org/index.php?ac ... ;dl=cat180

Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:38 pm
Webslinger

Don't remember if I signed up for those boards...will have to check it out when I get home.

I have been considering something based on the Codex Alera, among other things, incidentally. But I know only Katie and Drew have read the books. Okay, I THINK only Katie and Drew have read them.

Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:55 pm
Deadlier Than You

Drew's still reading the....second? book I think. Yeah, how are those coming along Drew, speaking of?

Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:56 pm
Webslinger

Hmmm. Okay, I'll refrain from saying much more, then. I was figuring I'd set it some time after the last one, so yeah, spoilers on how things change in Alera over the course of the series, if nothing else!

Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:03 pm
Just Say PortmanNo

I actually need to borrow the next one(let's say two) off of you at some point, Katie. I could be down for a fantasy game at some point, although honestly I'd probably lean more towards things like sci-fi and superheroics at this point; I'm getting a little burned on fantasy and urban fantasy.

Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:33 pm
Gentleman Scholar

Trail of Cthulhu: Nobody here should be shocked to hear that I'd *love* to play this one. :P (FWIW, I have a "player's info only" version of the PDF that was part of RPGNow's Haiti Relief Bundle a few months back.)

Dresden: Haven't read the books (but might someday), so pass.

Mage (any flavor): Iffy at best until I hear more.

Ghostbusters: Played it once *ages* ago. A big maybe for now.

Cortex fantasy: Possibly. (But I know nothing about Legend of the Seeker, so would probably pass on that specifically.)

Unisystem fantasy: Would this be closer to Buffy/Angel, Army of Darkness, or Ghosts of Albion, or something else altogether? (I'd love a chance to try out GoA's magic system properly, since I've had that "Erebus" idea percolating in the back of my head for a while now.)

Other fantasy: I've been rereading ASOIAF, so have been rereading the RPG (SIFRP), too. I'd like to try it sometime, but have yet to decide if I feel up to running it--especially since the rules are much more geared toward campaign play than one-shots.

ETA: Thrash: I don't believe I've even heard of this system...?

Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:04 pm
Profile WWW
Webslinger

Unisystem: Yes. :) All three, I believe, use Cinematic Unisystem. However, I would have to look at the specifics of what I want to do. That's speaking for myself personally, of course.

I'd be interested in ASOIAF -- hell, I'd be interested in running it -- but I don't see a way to avoid getting a bit epic and complicated there, as my understanding is that it plays on multiple levels, including the level of great houses trying to expand and thrive. I'm not sure it's something I would want to do in the near future as a GM and a player, intriguing as I find it.

Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:06 pm
Deadlier Than You

Cortex Fantasy: Believe me, no knowledge of the show or books would be at all needed. That's probably more like a 'this kind of style' example than anything else, or possibly I'd use the setting with my own edits. I definitely don't intend to retread the series or use the characters from it. I'd say at most the only 'pre-game' knowledge you would need would be similar to what you actually need when playing Buffy--'these are Slayers, these are Watchers, you kill vampires.' Around that level!

Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:11 pm
Gentleman Scholar

Unisystem: What I meant was, which would you be using? Which you seem to have answered with "answer murky, try again later." :P

SIFRP: Exactly!

Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:12 pm
Profile WWW
Webslinger

Could I play one of the evil black leather chicks who sound like something out of Star Wars? :P

Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:13 pm
Webslinger

What do you guys think of AD&D 2nd Edition as a system, BTW? I'm assuming most or all of you have tried it at some point, at least. I've been thinking of dusting off my books...it was a bit frustrating when I was a kid, but now I'm older and more mature.

*steps on scattered LEGO pieces*

...yep. Older. More mature. Ow.

Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:16 pm
Gentleman Scholar

I adored it back in the day...then Third Edition came along, and I never looked back.

Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:19 pm
Profile WWW
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next