View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:40 am

(One Shots) The Discussioning! 
Foooor Narnia

Post (One Shots) The Discussioning!
Hey all.

I was thinking about what I mentioned to Tim about asking Erika what kind of games she might be interested in playing if she wants to game with us when she and Tim are kid free for a few weeks. I was thinking, hey, are there any games/settings/genres that we would like to try? And since these are one-shots and not mini-campaigns between seasons, we don't have to all be in agreement and all have to play.

That said, I'd love to play some Battlestar Galactica or Star Wars. I'd also like to play some four-color, flying around, asteroid punching superhero games. Maybe some hong-kong, martial arts/gun-fu style games. I really want to break away from the supernatural/horror settings.

Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:34 pm
Webslinger

Post Re: (One Shots) The Discussioning!
I've actually been looking into Star Wars Saga Edition a bit and wouldn't mind running or possibly playing it myself.

Star Trek is also a possibility, though my main ideas in that direction have to do with a short campaign set after the events of the new movie.

Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:38 pm
Deadlier Than You

I could definitely go for playing some BSG or Star Wars. Take a trip into sci-fi for a while, sure!

Mostly I'm less interested in games focusing on strategy over roleplaying (i.e., D&D 4th--though your previous run of it wasn't too bad in this regard, Autumn).

Star Trek, hm...I'd consider the pitch for it, but I'm not 100% sure I'd be interested in that right now.

Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:40 pm
Foooor Narnia

Well, if Star Wars becomes a possibility, then I've got some books to lend out to whoever wants to run it or play in it.

Star Trek could be interesting as well, especially the more actiony reboot setting.

Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:42 pm
Webslinger

Yeah, honestly I think if I do another heroic fantasy game at our table, I'm going to use a different system. I like D&D 4th but it doesn't seem like a great fit for this group. (Although I'll probably keep D&D4 for convenience's sake if we get back to Eberron.)

Oh, yes, and superheroes are also something I'd be interested in at the moment. There's a bit of that in my giant robots fighting a mysterious threat pitch, obviously, but something closer to your classic four-color comic book 'verse would be fun too. Mutants & Masterminds actually seems like a pretty solid, fun system for that.

If I ran Star Trek it would either be based in the new movie era or on the Bajoran frontier (i.e. Deep Space Nine), so it'd probably be pretty action-y either way. :) I'm leaning toward the new movie era, though, obviously. It's a little fresher, the continuity's started over and things just seem a lot less shiny and clean than your standard Next Generation setting.

Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:46 pm
Webslinger

Which version of the game have you got, Mike? I've been looking at a PDF of the Saga Edition but might not mind looking at a hardcover before I make up my mind.

Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:53 pm
Foooor Narnia

Which one don't I have is the better question. The answer being the first edition West End games edition. I have the old d6 version, the first d20 version and the Saga edition.

Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:58 pm
Webslinger

Oh, wow, okay. Maybe I'll borrow the Saga book from you sometime and take a closer look, then. I don't think I have an urgent need for it right this second, anyway.

Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:00 pm
Foooor Narnia

Exactly, no rush, we're just tossing around ideas right now.

Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:03 pm
Gentleman Scholar

Mike, I passed your message on to Erika. The new system she's most interested in trying is D&D 4E, but she's also willing to try most systems at least once (the biggest exceptions, I think, being games based on books/TV/movies she hasn't read or seen).

As for me, you already know my general preferences--I usually prefer fantasy or horror to SF (though exceptions exist), and I'm not much into supers. Trek or Star Wars might work, but I'd have to see a pitch to make that call.

I'm going to want to run something new after my D&D campaign wraps (not for a while yet), but at this point, I have no clear idea which system or setting to try next.

Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:11 pm
Profile WWW
Just Say PortmanNo

At some point(I want to take a little bit of time to decompress after Werewolf), I could be down for running a Hong Kong action/martial arts game using Thrash(an old favorite system of mine that models that sort of thing very well).

Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:51 pm

I've had Trail of Cthulhu burning a hole in my hard drive for some time. I'd like to try it out running an investigation one shot. Dunno when.

Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:22 pm
Foooor Narnia

Cool, cool. Looks like we're getting some possible ideas for games going here, either to run or to play.

Anyways, I've been looking through my old Star Wars books and I'm gonna try to put together a one shot. No idea on the pitch yet, but soonish. I'll most likely be using the old d6 rules, since they seem more fast paced than the d20 Saga edition (which is like a combo of 3.5 and 4E).

Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:27 am
Deadlier Than You

I love a good creepy Cthulhu one-shot. :) I've played two before and they were fantastic. We stopped evil from exploding into the world both times, though with significantly more death the second time! I had to shoot myself to prevent it from happening (after everyone had already died!). Good times! (In a manner of speaking...)

Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:31 am
Foooor Narnia

Oh yeah, a good Cthulhu story would be fun. I haven't played since college and much like Katie, the one-shots ended with us saving the world but at a major cost to our lives or sanity.

Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:36 am
Webslinger

Yeah, I'd be down for trying Trail of Cthulhu. Be interested to see how the d6 System plays, too, as far as Star Wars goes.

Oh! For that matter, I have the Ghostbusters RPG and I've been meaning to bust it out for ages now.

Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:43 am
Foooor Narnia

And you just told us about it now? Wow, I'm just, wow. Go sit in a corner and think about what you've done. :P

Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:04 am
Just Say PortmanNo

I'd be down for both Trail of Cthulhu and Ghostbusters.

Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:42 am
Webslinger

Question, would you guys want to play the characters from the movie, or original pregens?

Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:52 am
Deadlier Than You

I'd probably take a pass on Ghostbusters, personally.

Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:53 am